Friday, December 15, 2006

Plein Air Landscape Painting

View At Stokkum
1992
oil on canvas
19,5 x 68,5 cm

This panoramic landscape was painted in the summer of 1992 during a trip through the eastern part of the Netherlands, near the German border. The painting was done at location using a wet-on-wet painting technique. It took me about three hours to complete it. This kind of painting is also called "alla prima" and requires a bold and direct brush stroke.

After returning at our camp I left the painting in the tent to dry. A friend threw his jacket by accident on the wet paint. The lower part of the painting that showed a cornfield was ruined beyond repair. Later I decided to cut the painting and gave it its actual oblong format. Fortunately the painting looked much more interesting than before. I am still grateful for the stupid accident.

I sold it together with some other paintings to the Consul-General of Brazil, Mr. Vasconcelos, who had found his way to my studio.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dominique Amendola said...

This is a great painting....nice!
Amendolaart

October 3, 2008 at 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home